GREEN LIGHT FOR NEW ENGLISH RIVIERA
BUSINESS IMPROVEMENT DISTRICT (ERBID)
On July 1st 2016, a majority YES vote (58% by number and 71% in rateable value) was secured in an independent ballot to establish a new English Riviera Business Improvement District (ERBID) on 1st January. The appeal to government was dismissed by the Secretary of State on December 19th and we can now proceed in securing £500,000 per annum through the ERBID levy, to invest on your behalf:
- To protect and grow the year round value and volume of Torbay’s tourism industry
- To maximise sustainable funds to invest in professionally co-ordinated regional, national and international promotion
- To support the tourism sector in maximising turnover and profits
Over the past 4 months, the voluntary ERBID Steering Group have been working to establish a new not-for-profit company, the English Riviera BID Company Ltd, who will be responsible for delivering the ERBID Business Plan and take over as the official Destination Marketing Organisation (DMO) responsible for promoting the official English Riviera brand. The English Riviera Tourism Company will cease to operate on 31st December.
For the first year the Steering Group, representing a cross section of different tourism businesses will become the new voluntary board, supported by a much reduced and small executive team.
After an open and rigorous recruitment process, which saw the position of Chief Executive Officer advertised widely, Carolyn Custerson was the strongest and most experienced candidate interviewed and has been appointed as Chief Executive Officer of the new ERBID Company.
The ERBID is hugely important as it means more money can be collectively invested in promoting the English Riviera and an exciting programme of Destination Marketing activities are planned for 2017:
- Increased national circulation to 100,000 copies, of the Official Destination Guide
- Launch of a NEW look English Riviera Resort Guide
- A NEW Regional Day Visitor Campaign (focusing on Exeter for Year One)
- A NEW Sky TV Short Break campaign targeting new year round visitors
- Launch of a NEW fully mobile official web site: www.englishriviera.co.uk on which, every BID business will be promoted FREE OF CHARGE (worth £250)
Competition is increasing and Destination Marketing has a vital part to play in influencing where people visit, with research confirming that is the ‘destination’ that is decided upon first, followed by decisions relating to where to stay, what to do and where to eat.
As has been proven in other major UK resorts, BID’s (Business Improvement Districts) provide a very effective way for businesses to work together in partnership to jointly promote a destination and we are very much looking forward to working with you as Tourism Partners.
As chairman of the English Riviera BID Company for the first year, my priorities will be on ensuring that the new company operates with transparency, accountability and professionalism, building on the success of the ERTC and delivering both good value and positive results. Regular communications will be taking place via the Tourism Partners website and email. Please sign up to receive our regular updates at www.englishrivierabid.co.uk/subscribe
Thank you for your continued support.
Chairman of the English Riviera BID Company